Thursday 8 June 2017

What's For Tea

When I was younger I wrote a story for an English lesson entitled  If Its Egg and Chips It Must Be Wednesday...... I was always writing stories back then. The premis of the story was you knew what day of the week it was just by what was for tea, we called it tea here up north in them days, not dinner, supper was a snack before bedtime. Every week it was the same on the same day, fish and chips on a Friday, it was payday and being left footers to boot. Oh how I longed for something different on a  Sunday tea after the Sunday roast, cold meat, bread and butter, tinned fruit with carnation milk didn't hold any great appeal to me at all. The most exotic thing I ever had in the 70s was a Vesta Curry, oh and my aunt made a Spaghetti bolagnase, very sophisticated I thought.

The phone call I receive from my OH every day is one that creates an eye roll of how many fucks do I actually give, "Whats For Tea". By the end of the week on receiving the what shall I get when I go shopping, yes he does do the weekly shop, however I have to do the "list" which to be quite honest is a complete waste of time as I don't think he actually looks at it. Unbelievably the question of the food shop and what are we eating causes the most arguments in our house.

We've tried Gusto, Hello Fresh, all the ingredients for the evening meal all delivered to your door. I've had a go at batch cooking, meal planning, but this is how it usually goes down in this house, OH brings shopping home on a friday with what seems to me a random selection, duck ffs, and you'd think he had swum the channel, he's quite chuffed with his inventiveness. It's left on the kitchen work tops for me to unpack and me inevitably chunttering under my breath you forgot half of the list! which understandably he finds deflating, Friday night usually ends in us all being hungry, grumpy and ordering a takeaway.

Now I know a big part of the problem is ME, my indecisiveness where food is concerned is quite known to all who know me. My OH lives to eat and I eat to live, if he hasn't eaten by a certain time the he gets very very arsey. I'm not a bad cook, the stew and dumpling, roast dinner kind of cook but you'd think I'd put something laced with arsenic down for the kids the look of disdain I receive. It seems very few meals are a hit with all of us, chicken schnitzel being the exception.

We are on a trial this month of deciding what we would like for tea on a daily basis to try and cut down on the waste, and the past it's sell by date, didn't get used, fridge to bin fiasco. It's not quite working really. We may not have had all the availability to all the foods we do now back in the 70s but our tea was put in front of us and the choice was we ate it or went hungry. We didn't ask "what's for tea" as whatever the day of the week it was we knew what it was going to be. The days of not knowing what a capsicum was don't seem so bad at all.


Sha x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice to see you blogging :)
Food is very important to us and we eat everything and anything!

Contact Me